Welcome to our Blog! If you want to know what we've been up to, visit us here and we'll share all of our greatest adventures with you. Hope you enjoy!

Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 4 - London

May 5, 2008

Hi All! This will be a short post as we are trying to get out the door but I wanted to let you know briefly what we did yesterday and are going to do today.

We had a very easy morning and afternoon (I even got in a nap - it was very much needed). Around 4:00pm, we went out for a drive so Jeremiah could get used to things and boy was it different, even for me the passenger. I think we'll do fine after a little more practice though (there is a lot to think about all at once which can get confusing).

We drove not too far away to Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Cottage (Queen Elizabeth I; originally built for Henry VIII - even had wider steps to accommodate the "portly sovereign"). It was very beautiful with open green fields around and then the Epping forest behind (this forest used to be much bigger but with expansions has been cut down for its timber).

















We walked around for a bit and enjoyed the scenery while eating some delicious ice cream on a cone. We walked over to a "man-made" pond (it was "man-made" by a V2 bomb in WWII).

After a bit we drove back home and prepared dinner which was very tasty and Gillian made an apple crumble with minced meat for dessert (heavenly!). (Oh, and Mom, I found out where they get their tea and we will be ordering some so that I can take it back with me at the end of the trip - they buy it from a factory in Wales who actually imports it the ingredients from India and China).

Oh, as dinner was being made, I had a chance to watch a documentary on the BBC's Young Musician of the Year award. It's been going on since 1978 and man do they have some talented young kids over here. The winner in 1984 was a clarinettist and she was amazing (I thought of you dad as I listened to her and would have thought you would enjoy her playing).

After dinner, Mike really wanted to watch a TV movie called "Flood". It's one of those what-if disaster movies but this one was saying what would happen if the Thames flooded. They only showed the first half last night and the rest will be tonight. It was actually rather good. That brought us to bed time.

We finally got in bed around 11:30pm.

This morning we got up a little later than we were hoping for (my fault; I had set the alarm a little early to get up and have time to write to you but then I guess instead of getting out of bed, I fell back asleep and had already turned off the alarm! So we got up 15 minutes later than we wanted but we'll make it work).

Today we are going to the Tower of London and Jeremiah has some surprises along the way that he would like to show me.

Well, that's gonna have to be all for now as we need to get out of here. More to come later.

Oh, and if you could keep our health in your prayers; we both woke up with a soar throat this morning. We took some Airborne which will hopefully help and we'll try to be careful. Thanks!

We love you all and look forward to our next "chat".

5 comments:

Mom Wambui said...

I remember that hunting lodge--neat huh! Was the icecream a "99" (with or without "flake")? Did Mike and Gillian go with you there?
Hey, that tea sounds very interesting--would you bring me a sample too please?
Can't wait to hear about you day in London!
I'm praying for you.
Love always, Mom

Dad Thelin said...

Going through the Tower of London was a special treat for me when we were there. I hope you get a big a thrill out of it just as I did. But watch out for the "yellow" mustard that they serve at the food shop. It is real hot. Enjoy your day.

Dad Thelin

Marcail Gaelyn said...

Hope you enjoy the Tower of London! Last time I skipped the Beefeater tour, which I regretted later, so I hope you take their tour! Definitely take the time to go through the White Tower. It's very interesting. =)

Have fun and see you guys soon!
-=-Becky

pixelatedmonica said...

11:30 bedtime?! That's so early! The trick is to fill a camelbak with diet mountain dew and nurse it throughout the day. Then you can easily do the 5 hour sleep night.
Disclaimer* This only works for about a month, but that's plenty for a 3 week trip. Oh, if you find cookies (biscuits) called Tim Tams (made by Arnotts) BUY!! They are amazing. Be wary of Marmite. It looks like chocolate but it sure as heck is NOT chocolate.

Jeremiah and Sara said...

Thanks for the tips Mo! I'll keep an eye out for those biscuits and stay away from the imitation chocolate. :)

Oh, Debbie, I forgot to mention in my last post that I will bring home some of that tea for you as well :)