Welcome to our Blog! If you want to know what we've been up to, visit us here and we'll share all of our greatest adventures with you. Hope you enjoy!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day 12 - Capernwray (A little R&R)

May 13, 2008

We decided that today was going to be our rest/catch-up day. Our plans included resting, laundry, typing in the blog, swimming, and some pool, plus general exploration of the grounds.

Breakfast was at 7:30am and Jeremiah decided to skip it so he could sleep some more (he remembered it was hard for him 10 years ago when he was a student here to get up for it and they wouldn't let you skip it then). I, on the otherhand, wanted to eat some. So I headed to the dining hall right at 7:30 and was one of the first to get there so I grabbed some cereal, toast, fruit, and yogurt and sat down at a table with a man who looked like he was either on staff or one of the speakers here (I found out that he did some lectures on critiqing movies).

A little bit later, some other who he knew, joined us. We all talked, mainly about films, and breakfast was very enjoyable. I grabbed some extra fruit, toast, and yogurt to take with me for Jeremiah so it looked like I wa a mojor pig with all this food around me. Towards the end of the meal, I started wrapping the extra food in napkins and the guy sitting across from me kept looking at me strangely. I just kept doing what I was doing and laughing in my head. Afterwards, I went back to our room and laid down for a bit more (7:30am was really early for me as well but I wanted to make sure to get some food). After a bit we got up and got ready for the day doing miscellaneous things and getting our laundry ready.

Jeremiah ate his food late and decided to skip lunch as well. I went back to the dining hall for "Brown Bowl Surpise" (I think that's what they called it). It was a bread bowl (not like bread I've had at home but I really like it; it was very shallow and just had some sides to it - not like a sourdough bread bowl or anything like that). There was ground meat with some vegatbles in another bowl that you scooped into your bread bowl and some salad. It was all pretty good.

I was the first one at my table (I'm starting to realize that they aren't very punctual around here) and some others joined me; among them was the guy from breakfast who was looking at me strangely. I thought it was funny again that here I was alone and I would mention my husband and that he was here 10 years ago but that no one has really see him - mystery man! Everyone at the table was really nice and we had some good conversation. (They sure do eat fast over here; even the Americans and Canadians - I wonder if they are just on a short time table or really wanted to get out to enjoy their free time; I was barely half-way through my meal when they were all on to dessert!)

After lunch, I came to the computer lab to type but it didn't open for another 15 minutes. So I decided I would walk around and try to find Jeremiah who had been doing our laundry during lunch. I walked all over the place and couldn't find him. It was now only a few minutes until 2pm so I thought I would try one last time to see if he was in the Laundry room before I headed back to the computer room and he was there!

He had just switched all of our clothes into the dryers and it was a good thing he started this during lunch as right afterwards, there were quite a few students who were starting theirs. He then walked me to the computer room and I have been in here typing ever since.

We are planning on going in to town to the Sizzle In for pizza (apparently the best pizza in town) and then I'm not sure what else we are going to do. We are thinking of trying to go to the later lecture tonight as Sue Gilmore (one of Debbie's old roommates) is speaking tonight (I checked the schedule today and found out that if we had stayed around lst night after that one lecture that I fell asleep through, we would have heard her speak last night).

While I have been in here, Jeremiah has been finishing up our laundry and looking at books on what we should do tomorrow in the Lake District area. Well, I'm not sure if I will be able to write anything tomorrow as we will be off the grounds for the majority of the day, I think, and the lab is only open for limited hours, but I will try to find the Internet again as soon as possible.

I did write on Day 8 and Day 9 today, so check out those posts if you haven't already.

On Thursday, we are headed to Scotland!

Lots of Love and Thanks for all the comments - we love reading them!
Sara & Jeremiah

3 comments:

Mom Wambui said...

Isn't meal time fun sitting around the table with people from all over the world and getting to visit together! Lindsey is here, so we read your blog together--she remembers Brown Bowl Surprise! She said it is Surprise because it is made up of all the leftovers, so you never really know what will be in it. Jordan used to get Pizza Surprise when she was there! Lindsey said Sue Gilmore is probably speaking on Isaiah. She said it is really good. Did you make it to her lecture? Did you get to speak with her? Please give her my love.
Thank you for my lovely Mother's Day card--that meant a lot to me. It was so thoughtful of you guys to prepare that ahead of time like that. I kept it until Sunday. Also on Mother's Day, Gary Rea sang at church, and he sang, "I Love Your Name." It took me back to walking down the isle at your wedding and I just sat there with a big smile on my face, reflecting on how much God has blessed us, how he brought you two together. It was a great Mother's Day gift special for me.
Last Friday I picked up your mail and checked your apartment. Everything was fine. That bill came in that you wanted me to pay, and I paid and mailed it.
Well, have a great rest of your trip. I am so glad you got to meet Capernwray--another Cornthwaite who has now been there!
Love, Mom

Mom Wambui said...

Hey, I just found day 8's entry, somehow I missed it before???
So I went there to make comments. Do you have to scroll through all your past days to find comments?
Mom

Jeremiah and Sara said...

Debbie,

Thanks for all the comments; it's really fun reading them!

This Brown Bowl Surprise was actually pretty good. Apparently some of the others ones aren't so good so I'm glad I missed out on those :)

We made sure to send Sue your love :) I'll tell you more about our time with Sue in a blog post, although, I think Jeremiah may have already told you in your phone conversation.

I'm glad you had a great Mother's Day. How special to hear Gary Rea again.

Thanks for taking care of the bill; I really appreciate it.

I have postdated some of my posts to keep them in order, so you may have to scroll down to read "new" ones that you haven't seen yet even though they look like old ones from their dates.

When someone makes a comment, it gets emailed to me so I don't have to scroll to read them - that would be rather annoying!

Okay, bed time now!

Love,
Sara