Welcome to our Blog! If you want to know what we've been up to, visit us here and we'll share all of our greatest adventures with you. Hope you enjoy!

Friday, May 2, 2008

Day 1 - Leaving for England

May 2, 2008

We started the day at 5:45am to get ready for work, finish packing, and close up the apartment. We got everything in the car and were out the door a few minutes before 7am (supposed to be at work at 7).

I dropped off Jeremiah at his work and headed to mine. Very busy day for me; relaxing day for Miah. I had a lot of last minute things to get done before the trip and being gone for 3 weeks. We worked for 5 hours and then said our goodbyes. I picked up Jeremiah with our lunches and luggage in tow. We switched sides so he could drive while I ate.

We talked about our days at work and I ate my lunch (PB&J sandwich & strawberries with lots of water). I started getting a headache so I took some medicine and tried to unwind from the crazy morning at work.

Around 1:10pm, we arrived at my parents' house, used the restroom, talked for a bit with my mom, and loaded up my mom's car with our luggage. I drove so my mom, who recently had surgery on her foot, wouldn't have to and Jeremiah rode shotgun to be able to mess around with the new GPS unit my parents had just given us for the trip (pretty cool!). No traffic on the way to the airport so we got there just after 2:30pm - in plenty of time. We said goodbye to my mom and headed inside.

This was my first time in an International terminal so I took my time looking around; somehow it just felt different.

We checked in online the night before so there was no line for us. We just had to get the passes for our checked bags then take them over to the screening area. My dad called during this and I couldn't get to my phone in time so I missed his call. While we waited to make sure our bags got put through the screener, I called my dad back. He was wishing us a good journey and lots of fun (he "demanded" that we have fun :) )

**Well, the computer lab here at Capernwray is about to close, so I'll finish this post later.**

**Back Again to finish the Post**

As I was talking and after our bags got loaded, we headed up an escalator to a food area. We found a table to sit at and Jeremiah took out his lunch. I used the restroom and decided to get an ice cream cone from McDonalds as a treat (yes, it is officially the start of vacation!).

We enjoyed our food and finished off our water. During this time I talked with Becky and finalized our plans on meeting the 19th in Keswick at their B&B around 1:00pm.

A little after 3:30pm we decided to head over to Security. It seemed like it took forever to get through but it probably wasn't really that long. They put Jeremiah's backpack through twice because they couldn't tell what everything was. They asked if we had a laptop in there. I said no. Then they asked for a back check. I (or Jeremiah, I can't remember) remembered the GPS so I mentioned it. Then they asked if there was any water in the bad? Lotion? Food? No, No, Yes. I said there were containers with cookies in them. They then put the bag through the scanner again. As it was going through the second time, a male worker came up to the girls and they suddenly weren't as interested in our bag and let it go through without any more questions. The truth is, we had applesauce containers in the bottom of the bag and were seeing if we could get away with them :)

We then found a TV with updates on the flight status and ours had been delayed. Original time: 5:45pm and now: 6:30pm - Boo! We walked down to the end of the terminal to our gate and found an open place to sit. My headache was worse and my stomach was upset; I really felt like some soup would help.

So I walked down to a Deli. They served soup, Udon Soup, whatever that is, but it cost $8 or $9. No way I was buying that. So I kept walking and stopped at each little store to look around and just waste some time. (Everything costs so much!)

Eventually, I headed back to our seats and decided some Gold Fish would hit the spot (brought them for the car trips). But then I realized that we didn't have anything to drink with them. So I walked back to the Deli and bought some Sprite, hoping it would help my stomach.

I got back to Jeremiah and started my new snack. It seemed to hit the spot because my stomach feels much better and my head doesn't hurt as much. We turned on our new IPod, listened to Maroon 5, and Jeremiah took some pictures.

Now we are just waiting and trying to be patient until it's time to board. Current time: 5: 31pm. Should be boarding soon!

Catch you in London!
S&J


1 comment:

Mom Wambui said...

Just got this one too--May 13. I've been checking for back posted blogs I may have missed.
So that is where the GPS unit came from--what a wonderful thing for your parents to do for you guys! Sounds like that has been really helpful, and I know how much Jeremiah likes gadgets like that too! Wonderful.
Mom